Monday, October 26, 2015

#Belief

If Oprah hadn’t done it, you know good and well I was on a mission to have it done.

Can I tell you how much I loved it? How my poor husband had to endure nights of my deep questions and annoying exuberance?

This world. This earth. This life. All the beauty in it. I was just overwhelmed. Amazed. And I felt something I haven’t felt in quite a while. INSPIRATION.

I have long held my Christian beliefs. And I grew up believing we were the right ones. We have the ONLY truth. We serve the ONE true God. As I have gotten older it has become apparent to me that is what everyone thinks about their own personal faith. Why can anyone claim a corner on the market of GOD? It brings to mind the ancient story of the blind men and the elephant. Each is touching a different part describing the elephant as undeniably such, unable to grasp the whole picture.
Isn’t that what we are all doing? Barely scratching the surface of an Infinite Being. All of us wanting to describe God as WE know Him and understand Him to be -based on our cultural biases and religious texts.

I watched each story with fascination. I cried more times than I can count.The realization that (most) everyone seeks the Beyond. Everyone, at some point questions the meaning of existence. I know many may ask and seek no further. But in each case featured on the series, these people of faith lived what they believed. Pursued the Divine. And it was breathtaking. And I couldn’t help but think of Heaven. Where every nation, tribe and tongue will be worshiping God. I know I rival Franklin Graham when I say this but maybe, just maybe, God is so big and so vast and so indescribable we each are touching only a portion of Him with our understanding.

There is so much anger and hatred and division in our world. I think we fear what we don’t know or understand. If we made the effort to study one another, other cultures, faiths and ideas could we have a greater understanding? Do we have to agree? No. Can we debate such ideas? Potentially, but only with great care and maturity. After watching this series I realized I have so much to learn. And that one day I really want to participate in the Hindu Holi day.

I will highlight a few of my favorites. The first was that of the Nigerian Muslim Religious leader and the Christian Pastor. The history of hatred and violence between those two religions in that area alone is spattered with unnecessary and innocent bloodshed. Both were justified in their anger towards one another. They were true enemies seeking to destroy one another. Until they had a meeting with a reporter that encouraged them to reconcile. They were able to hold fast to their faiths agreeing that forgiveness was something they could agree on. Both faiths teach forgiveness. Which is precisely what they have done. And now they travel together to Muslim communities-- this Christian pastor puts his life at risk in an effort to offer peace. He says, “I pray for him to become Christian, and he prays for me to become Muslim. But we are both stubborn.” Yet they work together he said for the sake of the children. These precious souls that carry the responsibility of how they will operate and respond to those who may not believe as they do. These men are showing them an honorable example of what it means to truly forgive.

The second was similar in nature. It took place in Israel--an equally if not more religiously divided place. A man of no religious affiliation, instead, a love for music, has composed an orchestra of musicians that include Jews, Christians, and Muslims. They practice together. They play together. And together they create beautiful music. Differences aside. Tears rolled down my face as I watched the concert that was filled with spectators and musicians alike that have shared a violently divisive past because of religion yet sat peacefully experiencing this moving symphony together. United.

The final highlight (so hard to limit to three!) was the Australian- Dr. John. I'm sure being from Australia helped as well as his accent which was mixed with a South African background, but he was such a genuine soul. One I felt connected to. I empathized with him. And yes, cried with him. He went on the "camino" hike--500 miles stopping at popular Catholic spots. He had lost his faith after viewing the horrific acts unfold before him as he fought in the civil war in South Africa. Many people joined him on the hike and he would speak to every individual he came across. It was so beautiful. The people. The hike. The emotion that overcame him as he entered a church for the first time in 40 years. They came together to have a meal and I wanted so badly to be transported there. To sit among each pilgrim and hear their story.

I wonder what the world might look like if we were able to find the things we actually agree on? If we could put our differences aside and focus on Love and Forgiveness? Isn’t that the way of Christ? I would argue that most religions agree on those two things.

Now before you start commenting or private messaging me your concern for my eternal destiny and tell me how dangerous this road is I’m walking-- that I’m headed down a slippery slope, please know I am not renouncing my faith in Christ. I DO believe he died to save the world. That HE is the savior of THE WORLD. That when He whispered it is finished He meant it. I believe the Bible is a beautiful book that tells us the story of many lives influenced and affected by God. And throughout the whole thing it points to redemption through Christ. Restoration has already begun.

I just want to raise awareness to the fact that we are so conditioned by our culture and upbringing. Our faith hinges so much on what part of the world we were born and in what family we were raised. I want to release God from the confines of my understanding and interpretations. I need him to be bigger. Indescribable. Uncontainable.

Eugene Peterson’s interpretation of Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 13 says it better than I could ever compose:

Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.

When I was an infant at my mother’s breast, I gurgled and cooed like any infant. When I grew up, I left those infant ways for good.

We don’t yet see things clearly. We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won’t be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We’ll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!

But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.


Oh. my. goodness. 

I just need to take a moment.

I long for the day our incompletes are canceled. 

Until then I will hold all of my thoughts and ideas with open hands. Fully knowing whatever they may be they are ultimately incomplete.
And I will honor the journey other people are on. Respecting the fact that they seek truth as much as I do. And desire to be complete. Any position I argue will be on the basis of love and love alone.

And if you didn’t get a chance to watch it and want to, you better believe I recorded it.. so come on over! I promise to maintain my composure.

No comments:

Facebook