Thursday, November 5, 2015

Lice is a(n) *itch

This week we have been singing an old tune with an added letter...

Lice, Lice, baby. 

-that's right.

 Both boys with lice...

 and of course still taking care of a baby. Who I am pretty sure doesn't have it but you can never be too certain.

No words really. But you know that isn't true. Plenty will fill the screen in what I can only describe as the most horrific Halloween ever.

I was in denial. I really didn't want to face the reality that once your kids start school there are these parenting hurdles you WILL face and you MUST overcome. 

It started with the stomach bug. We recently moved into a new build. Everything fresh and brand new. I was not aware that builder's grade paint was similar to the texture of a cardboard box. Anything that splashes on it leaves a mark. Water dries and disappears. Vomit on the other hand? Not.so.much. My poor sweet boy got sick in the middle of the night (yes all aimed against the wall) but because we had been Nazis about them getting out of bed at night he assumed he would get in trouble for coming to tell us. Parenting fail. And HUGE mess after it had sat. Overnight. I scrubbed the wall to no avail. Luckily his bed is pushed up against it so the splattery stain is hidden. For the most part. The next day was a circus and I had to call in reinforcements. I was just not capable of taking care of a newborn and sickly child that needed to be in the bathroom 24/7 but preferred hanging around the couch in the living room. Ew. 

But we survived it. Only lasted a day. 

Then round two hit with THE SAME CHILD. We had returned from a long day trip to Tyler.. 4 hours total in the car. The baby had slept MAYBE 2 hours the whole day. We were hoping for a decent night of sleep. And he did GREAT! slept until 4am. So why were we awakened at 2:24? MORE VOMIT. This time splattered on our bathroom wall. Fortunately he knew to come downstairs this time. Parenting win? Another day of it and we survived, once again.

Now, one of my fears about our new home was our high pile carpet. Unlike the wall situation I was very aware of the fact that if vomit did occur on this carpet it would be a pain to clean. Too easy for it to settle in between each strand. Well you guessed it.

Next round, other kid, ALL over the bed and carpet. And yes, I'm still vacuuming bits up. TMI? 

We made it. We survived. Kids are healthy. Or so we thought.

Other kid was scratching his head. And you think, I should check that but deep down you really don't want to because you know what you might find. So you don't. Then you wished you had.

Halloween night was an exciting time. Scrambling to visit all our friends, get dinner and back in time to trick or treat in our new neighborhood. The scratching continues. So, this time I checked. And sure enough-- So like most well mannered good mothers I freaked the heck out. Basically ruined the whole night of fun for other kid. HUGE parenting fail. 

Upon our return we discover not one but two heads sporting the unwelcome little $#its. Nits. All other kid could think about the whole time is what he expressed as soon as we walked in, "Can you get the bugs out of my hair???"  Off my dear husband goes spending over $50 in treatments while I start my own home remedy of essential oils in shampoo. When he arrives home I point in amusement to our sweet lambs watching tv, head wrapped in saran wrap and a walmart sack. THESE are the photo ops we forget to take advantage of. 

I had long feared this reality. In some ways you feel responsible. If only I was monitoring their hair washing technique. If only I had checked sooner. But lice is not partial. They are an equal opportunist parasite. And I realized when you reach out to those who have endured and survived them people are more than willing to help a sister out. 

I would take vomit over lice ANY DAY. It is controllable. Containable. You have a rough idea of when it will be over. The bugs? Let's just say in all of my spiritual questions and wonderings, those will get top priority when I talk to God. What.is.the.point?

Maybe it is to prove that as parents we are stronger than we think. And when lice happens, life is not over as we know it. And maybe God gave these parasites to me to help redirect my obsessing. I actually didn't stress about theology or the afterlife or God's sovereignty. (At least for a day or two) 

To all you parents out there, many of you face much tougher situations-- Kudos to you. You are strong. You can do it. You will survive. I feel this invisible bond between us. If I see someone frantically buying every lice product off the shelf I can give the reassuring, knowing nod of I've been there and you'll get through. It is somewhat empowering. And maybe just another notch on the parenting belt to help us face the next trial. Deep down we are all superheroes. 

Seriously? The irony of the costumes.

If you encounter this unfortunate experience in your life --Lice Freeeeee! spray. Get it. Spray it. Or in my husband's case pour the entire contents over your child's head. 

And don't worry, that itching is totally normal. It's all in your head. :D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you have survived. Great post. Humbling how such a tiny beast can turn out worlds upside down for a bit.

Unknown said...


This is so funny when it's not you! Thanks for the laugh and the reassurance that I did the right thing buying the most expensive paint available. Oh how we can relate to lice!

https://mommy2mummy.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/lice-lessons/

Facebook