Friday, August 22, 2014

thoughts on an open door policy

I see the church as a field hospital after battle. It is useless to ask a seriously injured person if he has high cholesterol and about the level of his blood sugars! You have to heal his wounds. Then we can talk about everything else. Heal the wounds, heal the wounds. And you have to start from the ground up.Pope Francis

The fear in stepping out in faith comes from many angles. But mostly from well-meaning believers expressing “concern”. 

Why does the church exist? I have to ask. To spread the gospel of Christ. This Christ who is full of grace and truth.

What is the truth?

There is none righteous, not even one. (Rom. 3:10)
For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. (Rom. 3:23)
For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son that who so ever believes in Him may not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
For it is by grace we have been saved through faith, which is a gift of God that no man may boast. (Eph. 2:8)
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.…" (Matt. 16:24)

For far too long church has somehow generated a reputation of being judgmental and merciless.

They will know we are Christians by our criticism, judgment, hypocrisy, pretentiousness, standing up for our rights LOVE.

I am overwhelmed lately by the magnitude of the calling God is placing on our hearts. Stewarding broken lives is such a huge task. To fail them yet again is just reaffirming their distrust in church. And while I agree that blaming people for ones disbelief in God is a cop-out, I also believe we do not hold ourselves to a high enough standard when it comes to loving others radically.

I desire mercy, not sacrifice. (Matt. 9:13)
Mercy triumphs over judgment. (James 2:13)
“Or are you envious because I am generous?” (Matt 20:1-16)
Who can say, I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin? Differing weights and differing measures—the Lord detests them both. (Prov. 20:9-10)
‘Son, you don’t understand. You’re with me all the time, and everything that is mine is yours—but this is a wonderful time, and we had to celebrate. This brother of yours was dead, and he’s alive! He was lost, and he’s found!’” (Luke 15:31-32)
‘You evil servant! I forgave your entire debt when you begged me for mercy. Shouldn’t you be compelled to be merciful to your fellow servant who asked for mercy?’ The king was furious and put the screws to the man until he paid back his entire debt. And that’s exactly what my Father in heaven is going to do to each one of you who doesn’t forgive unconditionally anyone who asks for mercy.”  (Matt. 18:21-35)
For while we were STILL SINNERS Christ died for us. (Rom. 5:8)

A wretch like me. Who am I to stand in the place of judgment?  

"The lamp of the Lord searches the spirit of a man; it searches out his inmost being." (Prov. 20:27)
"For man looks at the outside but God looks at the heart." (1 Sam. 16:7)

I am brought to tears, literal sobs when I listen to this song lately. 

Because with all that I am I long for His kingdom to come. For His words to be true. For His sacrifice to have been enough for ALL of us. That if we are seeking we will find. That He desires to restore all that is broken. That He sees our hearts. Those of us desperate to honor Him by loving others unconditionally. For we know that it is His kindness that will lead us to repentance. When faced with the unfathomable beauty of free forgiveness. Of unrelenting love and grace. Compassion and Mercy. That is when I fall on my face and proclaim- Behold the Son of God who takes away the sins of the WORLD. He is the one I worship and adore. The one I believe has conquered death to bring us LIFE and LIFE abundant.

To know this love. It is indescribable. And so often for me UNBELIEVABLE. This is THE answer for the hope that we profess.  It is GOOD NEWS.

My heart will sing, no other name.

Jesus.

And nothing else. You cannot add to or take away. He alone is our salvation. This serving, humble, loving, forgiving, gentle, kind, meek, patient, merciful king. His power is not executed by force or fear. But by unrelenting, unconditional love.

To know Him, really KNOW him- not just of Him or about Him. Not the Bible and all its laws and moral code. TO KNOW CHRIST- is to LOVE HIM.

This is the man that dined with those deemed “unworthy” and no where does it indicate that those sinners immediately turned from their sin. But that didn’t stop Jesus from pursuing them. Loving them. Serving them. Having a meal with them.

“Jesus came to save sinners (Luke 19:10). Tradition, cultural bans, and the frowns of a few do not matter when a soul’s eternal destiny is on the line.”

"Unlike the Pharisees, Jesus didn’t require people to change before coming to Him. He sought them out, met them where they were, and extended grace to them in their circumstances. Change would come to those who accepted Christ, but it would be from the inside out. Jesus knew better than anyone that the kindness of God leads sinners to repentance (Romans 2:4)."
{Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-with-sinners.html#ixzz3Awt7nwwp}

If His grace is sufficient for me it is sufficient for all. Period.

“Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst.” (1 Tim. 1:15)

Amen and Amen a thousand times Amen.

If I am going to err, I desire to err on the side of love. Because when I die, I would much rather hear, Aimee, you loved too much, than- Aimee, you loved too little.  


Let us all strive for Well Done, Faithful Servants.


Build your kingdom here, Lord.

check out the website of the church we are helping to launch in Frisco!! http://www.mosaicfrisco.com/

No comments:

Facebook